- 1 package Season Flat Anchovies in Olive Oil (2 oz.), drained and chopped
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 cup fennel, diced
- 1 cup diced button mushrooms
- 1 12oz. jar roasted red peppers, diced and drained well.
- 1 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped basil
- 1 17 oz package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil; cook the onions, fennel, and mushrooms for about 10-12 minutes. Add the roasted red peppers, black pepper and garlic powder and mix well. Remove from heat and add the fresh basil and anchovies.
- Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut each thawed puff pastry sheet into 4 even rectangles.
- Place heaping mounds of anchovy mixture onto the ends of each puff pastry rectangle. Starting from the filled end, using your fingertips, carefully roll the pastry over the mixture to form a log. Pinch ends closed.
- With a sharp knife, cut the log into 1-inch slices creating pinwheel circles. (Be careful not to squish the roll when pressing down to cut).
- Place the pinwheels onto the prepared cookie sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush the beaten egg on the tops and sides of the pinwheels. Bake till golden brown and puffed, about 15-20 minutes.
- Insert a wooden pick or lollypop stick into one end of each pinwheel. Arrange sticks in a glass or vase.