Winter Bean Soup (with Kale)
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- ½ package white beans, soaked 24 hours
- 2 cans sardines in water, drained
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, mashed or chopped fine
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- 4 kale leaves, stemmed and chopped
- 1 – 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 lemon, juiced, seeds removed
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. cumin
- Add oil to 5-quart stockpot on medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add carrots and celery and sauté another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add beans, sardines, 2/3 of chopped kale and can of diced tomatoes.
- Add water and bring to a boil uncovered.
- Lower heat and let simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of vegetables from liquid and reserve in bowl.
- With a hand immersion blender, blend the rest of the soup till smooth.
- Add seasonings, kale and cilantro.
- Serve hot in bowls. Then add some of the reserved vegetables on top.