Spanish Sardine Paella
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ cup green olives with pimento, halved
- 1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 2½ cups vegetable broth
- 1½ cups long-grain white rice
- 3 cans sardines in tomato sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 quarters fresh lemon, seeded
- ¼ cup frozen peas
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 3 canola oil
- 1½ tsp. oregano
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat oil on medium high.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté 2 to 3
- Add peppers, canned tomatoes, cilantro, olives, peas and sardines. Sauté another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice and stir well.
- Add broth and seasonings plus the lemon wedges.
- Lower heat and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat; let sit for 5 minutes. Toss lightly and serve.